Although Valentines House was built in the late 17th century, no maps of the house or estate are known to exist. At this time, the House and its grounds would have been on the edge of the forest that still covered most of south Essex. Indeed, on Bermingham's map of Ilford dated 1738, Cranbrook Road is marked as Road to Valentines and the forest

However, Chapman and Andre's map of Essex dated 1777 shows Valentines in open countryside. The only other detail worth noting is the position of the drive to the house (marked with red square) - roughly opposite the entrance of the Cranbrook Hall estate.